From Sergey Olefir <solf.li...@gmail.com>
Subject cassandra-cli + secured JMX = WARNING: Could not connect to the JMX
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2012 13:24:35 GMT
Hi,

for a number of reasons (particularly to prevent accidental access), I've
decided to try to secure (slightly) our Cassandra installation(s).

To this end I've started with 'securing' client access via code very similar
to SimpleAuthenticator (in examples dir). This, however, has no effect on
nodetool operation which uses JMX. So I went ahead with securing JMX access
as well (via -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.password.file and
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.access.file).

This seemed to work well, except now if I use cassandra-cli (on Windows) to
interact with the server, it gives me the following:
apache-cassandra-1.1.6\bin>cassandra-cli -h hostname -u experiment -pw
password
Starting Cassandra Client
Connected to: "db" on hostname/9160
Welcome to Cassandra CLI version 1.1.6

[experiment@unknown] show keyspaces;
WARNING: Could not connect to the JMX on hostname:7199, information won't be
shown.

Keyspace: system:
  Replication Strategy: org.apache.cassandra.locator.LocalStrategy
  Durable Writes: true
... (rest of keyspace output snipped)

I am concerned about this WARNING. I still seem to get the output (at least
for the 'system' keyspace, don't have anything else there yet), but I'm
wondering what problems I can expect and if there's a way to resolve this
WARNING (I'm guessing it has to do with specifying credentials for JMX in
addition to credentials used for client access)?

Thanks in advance,
Sergey