It seems like CASSANDRA-3442 might be an effective fix for this issue assuming that I'm reading it correctly.  It sounds like the intent is to automatically compact SSTables when a certain percent of the columns are gcable by being deleted or with expired tombstones.  Is my understanding correct?

Would such tables be compacted individually (1-1) or are several eligible tables selected and compacted using the STCS compaction threshold bounds?

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Rob Coli <> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 1:43 AM, Sylvain Lebresne <> wrote:
> on all your columns), you may want to force a compaction (using the
> JMX call forceUserDefinedCompaction()) of that sstable. The goal being
> to get read of a maximum of outdated tombstones before running the
> repair (you could also alternatively run a major compaction prior to
> the repair, but major compactions have a lot of nasty effect so I
> wouldn't recommend that a priori).

If sstablesplit ("reverse compaction") existed, major compaction would
be a simple solution to this case. You'd major compact and then split
your One Giant SSTable With No Tombstones into a number of smaller
ones. :)

=Robert Coli
YAHOO - rcoli.palominob
SKYPE - rcoli_palominodb