Also to answer your question, LCS is well suited to workloads where overwrites and tombstones come into play. The tombstones are _much_ more likely to be merged with LCS than STCS.

I would be careful with the patch that was referred to above, it hasn't been reviewed, and from a glance it appears that it will cause an infinite compaction loop if you get more than 4 SSTables at max size.

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Brandon Williams <driftx@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Aaron Turner <synfinatic@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are also ways to bring up a test node and just run Level Compaction on
> that.  Wish I had a URL handy, but hopefully someone else can find it.

This rather handsome fellow wrote a blog about it:
http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/whats-new-in-cassandra-1-1-live-traffic-sampling

-Brandon

--
Ben Coverston
DataStax -- The Apache Cassandra Company