Sure, created CASSANDRA-4905. I understand that these tombstones will be still streamed though. Thats fine with me.

Do you mind if I ask where you stand on making...
- ... ExpiringColumn not create any tombstones? Imo this could be safely done if the columns TTL is >= gcgrace. That way it is ensured that repair ran and any previous un-TTLed columns were overwritten.
- ... ExpiringColumn not add local timestamp to digest?

Cheers,
Christian

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM, Sylvain Lebresne <sylvain@datastax.com> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 10:46 AM, horschi <horschi@gmail.com> wrote:
> might I ask why repair cannot simply ignore anything that is older than
> gc-grace? (like Aaron proposed)

Well, actually the merkle tree computation could probably ignore
gcable tombstones without much problem, which might not be such a bad
idea and would probably solve much of your problem. However, when we
stream the ranges that needs to be repaired, we stream sub-part of the
sstables without deserializing them, so we can't exclude the gcable
tombstones in that phase (that is, it's a technical reason, but
deserializing data would be inefficient). Meaning that if we won't
guarantee that you won't ever stream gcable tombstones.

But excluding gcable tombstones from the merkle-tree computation is a
good idea. Would you mind opening a JIRA ticket?

--
Sylvain