Honestly, I don't understand what encoding you are talking about. Just write/read data as a byte array. You will read back exactly you write.

Thank you,
  Andrey

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Brian Tarbox <tarbox@cabotresearch.com> wrote:
We have a requirement to store our data encrypted.
Our encryption system turns our various strings into byte arrays.  So far so good.

The problem is that the bytes in our byte arrays are sometimes negative...but when we look at them in the cassandra-cli (or try to programatically retrieve them) the bytes are all positive so we of course don't find the expected data.

We have tried Byte encoding and UTF8 encoding without luck.  In looking at the Byte validator in particular I see nothing that ought to care about the sign of the bytes, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Brian Tarbox