It splits into a contiguous range, because truly upgrading to vnode functionality is another step.
That confuses me. As I understand it, there is no point in having 256 tokens on same node if I don't commit the shuffle

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Brandon Williams <driftx@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Manu Zhang <owenzhang1990@gmail.com> wrote:

>> it will migrate you to virtual nodes by splitting the existing partition
>> 256 ways.
>

> Out of curiosity, is it for the purpose of avoiding streaming?

It splits into a contiguous range, because truly upgrading to vnode
functionality is another step.

>>  the former would require you to perform a shuffle to achieve that.
>

> Is there a nodetool option or are there other ways "shuffle" could be done
> automatically?

There a shuffle command in bin/ that was recently committed, we'll
document this in process in NEWS.txt shortly.

-Brandon