I'm not completely sure what the latest Thrift behavior around this is (it's never been great), but this is one of the things that cql3 is designed to solve well.  I would consider using cql3 if that's an option for you.

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 11:38 PM, Wei Zhu <wz1975@yahoo.com> wrote:
Any thoughts?

Thanks.
-Wei

From: Wei Zhu <wz1975@yahoo.com>
To: Cassandr usergroup <user@cassandra.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:47 PM
Subject: composite column validation_class question

Hi All,
I am trying to design my schema using composite column. One thing I am a bit confused is how to define validation_class for the composite column, or is there a way to define it?
for the composite column, I might insert different value based on the column name, for example
I will insert date for column "created":

set user[1]['7:1:100:created'] = 1351728000;

and insert String for description

set user[1]['7:1:100:desc'] = my description;

I don't see a way to define validation_class for composite column. Am I right?

Thanks.
-Wei

--
Tyler Hobbs