Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton

On 1/11/2012, at 10:43 AM, Wei Zhu <wz1975@yahoo.com> wrote:

I heard about virtual nodes. But it doesn't come out until 1.2. Is it easy to convert the existing installation to use virtual nodes?

Thanks.
-Wei

From: aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com>
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:23 PM
Subject: Re: Benifits by adding nodes to the cluster

I have been told that it's much easier to scale the cluster by doubling the
number of nodes, since no token changed needed on the existing nodes.
Yup.

But if the number of nodes is substantial, it's not realistic to double it
every time.
See the keynote from Jonathan Ellis or the talk on Virtual Nodes from Sam here

virtual nodes make this sort of thing faster and easier

How easy is to add let's say 3 additional nodes to the existing
10 nodes?
In that scenario would would need to move every node.
But if you have 10 nodes you probably don't want to scale up by 3, I would guess 5 or 10. Scaling is not something you want to do every day.

How easy the process is depends on the level of automation in your environment. For example Ops Centre can automate rebalancing nodes.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton