Minor compactions will still be triggered whenever a size tier gets 4+ sstables (for the default compaction strategy). So it does not affect new data.

It just takes longer for the biggest size tier to get to 4 files. So it takes longer to compact the big output from the major compaction.

Assuming your data roughly follows a generational model, where newer data is written to often and older data is mostly read from. This can mean garbage hanging around in the big old file and *potentially* slowing things down.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton