incubator-cassandra-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Brian O'Neill <b...@alumni.brown.edu>
Subject Re: Datatype Conversion in CQL-Client?
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2012 15:47:03 GMT

Gotcha Timmy.  That is the Thrift API.  You are operating at a pretty
low-level.   I'm not sure that is considered the "official" CQL client.
IMHO, you might be better off moving up a level.  I'd probably either wait
for the official CQL Java Driver, or access CQL via a higher-level client
like Hector.

If you stick with Thrift, I think you can access the Schema metadata:
https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/interface/thrift/gen-java/org
/apache/cassandra/thrift/CqlMetadata.java
(Those are the generated classes for the Thrift interface)

But I'm not sure where the code is to apply that metadata to the result set
in:
https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/interface/thrift/gen-java/org
/apache/cassandra/thrift/CqlResult.java

-brian

---
Brian O'Neill
Lead Architect, Software Development
Health Market Science
The Science of Better Results
2700 Horizon Drive € King of Prussia, PA € 19406
M: 215.588.6024 € @boneill42 <http://www.twitter.com/boneill42>   €
healthmarketscience.com


This information transmitted in this email message is for the intended
recipient only and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If
you received this email in error and are not the intended recipient, or the
person responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, please contact
the sender at the email above and delete this email and any attachments and
destroy any copies thereof. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
copying or other use of, or taking any action in reliance upon, this
information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited.
 


From:  Timmy Turner <timm.turn@gmail.com>
Reply-To:  <user@cassandra.apache.org>
Date:  Monday, November 19, 2012 9:48 AM
To:  <user@cassandra.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: Datatype Conversion in CQL-Client?

What I meant was the method that the Cassandra-jars give you when you
include them in your project:

  TTransport tr = new TFramedTransport(new TSocket("localhost", 9160));
  TProtocol proto = new TBinaryProtocol(tr);
  Cassandra.Client client = new Cassandra.Client(proto);
  tr.open();
  client.execute_cql_query(ByteBuffer.wrap(cql.getBytes()),
Compression.NONE);



2012/11/19 Brian O'Neill <bone@alumni.brown.edu>
> I don't think Michael and/or Jonathan have published the CQL java driver yet.
> (CCing them)
> 
> Hopefully they'll find a public home for it soon, I hope to include it in the
> Webinar in December.
> (http://www.datastax.com/resources/webinars/collegecredit)
> 
> -brian
> 
> ---
> Brian O'Neill
> Lead Architect, Software Development
> Health Market Science
> The Science of Better Results
> 2700 Horizon Drive € King of Prussia, PA € 19406
> M: 215.588.6024 <tel:215.588.6024>  € @boneill42
> <http://www.twitter.com/boneill42>   €
> healthmarketscience.com
> 
> 
> This information transmitted in this email message is for the intended
> recipient only and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you
> received this email in error and are not the intended recipient, or the person
> responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, please contact the sender
> at the email above and delete this email and any attachments and destroy any
> copies thereof. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, copying or other
> use of, or taking any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
> entities other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.
>  
> 
> 
> From:  Tommi Laukkanen <tlaukkanen@gmail.com>
> Reply-To:  <user@cassandra.apache.org>
> Date:  Monday, November 19, 2012 2:36 AM
> 
> To:  <user@cassandra.apache.org>
> Subject:  Re: Datatype Conversion in CQL-Client?
> 
> I think Timmy might be referring to the upcoming native CQL Java driver that
> might be coming with 1.2 - It was mentioned here:
> http://www.datastax.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/7_Datastax_Upcoming_Changes
> _in_Drivers.pdf
> 
> I would also be interested on testing that but I can't find it from
> repositories. Any hints?
> 
> Regards,
> Tommi L.
> 
> From: Brian O'Neill [mailto:boneill42@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Brian O'Neill
>> Sent: 18. marraskuuta 2012 17:47
>> To: user@cassandra.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: Datatype Conversion in CQL-Client?
>> Importance: Low
>>  
>> 
>>  
>> If you are talking about the CQL-client that comes with Cassandra (cqlsh), it
>> is actually written in Python:
>> 
>> https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/bin/cqlsh
>> 
>>  
>> 
>> For information on datatypes (and conversion) take a look at the CQL
>> definition:
>> 
>> http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.0/references/cql/index
>> 
>> (Look at the CQL Data Types section)
>> 
>>  
>> 
>> If that's not the client you are referencing, let us know which one you mean:
>> 
>> http://brianoneill.blogspot.com/2012/08/cassandra-apis-laundry-list.html
>> 
>>  
>> 
>> -brian
>> 
>>  
>> 
>> On Nov 17, 2012, at 9:54 PM, Timmy Turner wrote:
>> 
>> 
>>> 
>>> Thanks for the links, however I'm interested in the functionality that the
>>> official Cassandra client/API (which is in Java) offers.
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> 2012/11/17 aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com>
>>>> 
>>>>> Does the official/built-in Cassandra CQL client (in 1.2)
>>>> What language ?
>>>> 
>>>>  
>>>> 
>>>> Check the Java http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/cassandra-jdbc/
>>>> and python http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/cassandra-dbapi2/
>>>> drivers.
>>>> 
>>>>  
>>>> 
>>>> Cheers
>>>> 
>>>>  
>>>> 
>>>>  
>>>> 
>>>> -----------------
>>>> 
>>>> Aaron Morton
>>>> 
>>>> Freelance Cassandra Developer
>>>> 
>>>> New Zealand
>>>> 
>>>>  
>>>> 
>>>> @aaronmorton
>>>> 
>>>> http://www.thelastpickle.com <http://www.thelastpickle.com/>
>>>> 
>>>>  
>>>> 
>>>> On 16/11/2012, at 11:21 AM, Timmy Turner <timm.turn@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> Does the official/built-in Cassandra CQL client (in 1.2) offer any
>>>>> built-in option to get direct values/objects when reading a field, instead
>>>>> of just a byte array?
>>>>  
>>>  
>>  
>> 
>> -- 
>> Brian ONeill
>> Lead Architect, Health Market Science (http://healthmarketscience.com
>> <http://healthmarketscience.com/> )
>> mobile:215.588.6024 <tel:215.588.6024>
>> blog: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/boneill42/
>> blog: http://brianoneill.blogspot.com/
>>  
> 




Mime
View raw message