From "Hiller, Dean" <Dean.Hil...@nrel.gov>
Subject Re: problem encrypting keys and data
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2012 23:03:57 GMT
Are you encountering the java issue of java not having unsigned bytes at all???  If so, you
should use int so that you can process an unsigned byte.  Anyways, just a thought.

Dean

From: Brian Tarbox <tarbox@cabotresearch.com<mailto:tarbox@cabotresearch.com>>
Date: Wednesday, November 7, 2012 3:43 PM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>" <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: problem encrypting keys and data

We have a requirement to store our data encrypted.
Our encryption system turns our various strings into byte arrays.  So far so good.

The problem is that the bytes in our byte arrays are sometimes negative...but when we look
at them in the cassandra-cli (or try to programatically retrieve them) the bytes are all positive
so we of course don't find the expected data.

We have tried Byte encoding and UTF8 encoding without luck.  In looking at the Byte validator
in particular I see nothing that ought to care about the sign of the bytes, but perhaps I'm
missing something.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Brian Tarbox