From Mike Heffner <m...@librato.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade 1.1.2 -> 1.1.6
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:03:38 GMT
On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Rob Coli <rcoli@palominodb.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Mike Heffner <mike@librato.com> wrote:
> > We performed a 1.1.3 -> 1.1.6 upgrade and found that all the logs
> replayed
> > regardless of the drain.
>
> Your experience and desire for different (expected) behavior is welcomed
> on :

> "nodetool drain sometimes doesn't mark commitlog fully flushed"
>
> If every production operator who experiences this issue shares their
> experience on this bug, perhaps the project will acknowledge and
> address it.

Well in this case I think our issue was that upgrading from nanotime->epoch
seconds, by definition, replays all commit logs. That's not due to any
specific problem with nodetool drain not marking commitlog's flushed, but a
safety to ensure data is not lost due to buggy nanotime implementations.

For us, it was that the upgrade instructions pre-1.1.5->1.1.6 didn't
mention that CL's should be removed if successfully drained. On the other
hand, we do not use counters so replaying them was merely a much longer
MTT-Return after restarting with 1.1.6.

Mike

--

  Mike Heffner <mike@librato.com>