From Sylvain Lebresne <>
Subject Re: How does Cassandra optimize this query?
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2012 18:40:59 GMT
On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Edward Capriolo <>wrote:

> I see. It is fairly misleading because it is a query that does not
> work at scale. This syntax is only helpful if you have less then a few
> thousand rows in Cassandra.

Just for the sake of argument, how is that misleading? If you have billions
of rows and do the select statement from you initial mail, what did the
syntax lead you to believe it would return?

A remark like "maybe we just shouldn't allow that and leave that to the
map-reduce side" would make sense, but I don't see how this is "misleading".

But again, this translate directly to a get_range_slice (that don't scale
if you have billion of rows and don't limit the output either) so there is
nothing new here.

View raw message