From Sylvain Lebresne <>
Subject Re: Generic questions over Cassandra 1.1/1.2
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2012 09:18:46 GMT
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 8:41 AM, aaron morton <>wrote:
> > Is there any noticeable performance difference between thrift or CQL3?
> Off the top of my head it's within 5% (maybe 10%) under stress tests. See
Eric's talk at the Cassandra SF conference for the exact numbers.

Eric's benchmark results was that "normal" queries were slightly slower but
prepared one (and in real life, I see no good reason not to prepare
statements) were actually slightly faster.

> CQL 3 requires a schema, however altering the schema is easier. And in
1.2 will support concurrent schema modifications.
> Thrift API is still schema less.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'd be curious (like seriously, I'm not
trolling) to understand what you mean by "CQL 3 requires a schema" but
"Thrift API is still schema less". Basically I'm not sure I always
understand what people mean by "schema less" exactly and I'm curious.

View raw message