From Rob Coli <rc...@palominodb.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade 1.1.2 -> 1.1.6
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2012 19:52:04 GMT
On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodrime@gmail.com> wrote:
> We had an issue with counters over-counting even using the nodetool drain
> command before upgrading...

You're sure the over-count was caused by the upgrade?Counts can be
counted on (heh) to overcount. What is the scale of the over-count?

Also, do you realize that drain doesn't actually prevent over-replay,
though it should?

Check for replayed operations in the system log..
"
grep -i replay /path/to/system.log
"

(I see further down thread that your logs do in fact contain replay.
Please comment to this effect, and how negative the experience is for
counts, on 4446?)

> I saw that the "sudo apt-get install cassandra" stop the server and restart
> it automatically. So it updated without draining and restart before I had
> the time to reconfigure the conf files. Is this "normal" ? Is there a way to
> avoid it ?

Perhaps if you comment on here you can help convince the debian
packager that auto-starting a distributed database when you install or
upgrade its package has negative operational characteristics.

> After both of these updates I saw my current counters increase without any
> reason.
>
> Did I do anything wrong ?

Expecting counters to not over-count may qualify as "wrong." But your
process seems reasonable.

=Rob

--
=Robert Coli