From Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade 1.1.2 -> 1.1.6
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2012 08:57:20 GMT
"This looks like the counters were more out of sync before the upgrade than
after?"

My guess is the update makes some counters over-count since I saw the value
of the sum of our daily counter increase by 2000 after each restart at the
exact moment that the node is marked as being up. This counter was about
5000, after upgrading the first node 7000, after the second upgrade 9000
and finally 11000. This value shouldn't have increase since we had stopped
our storm topology and we were queuing events without writing directly into
C*.

"Do you know if your client is retrying counter operations ? (I saw some
dropped messages in the S1 log). "

I am using phpCassa written by Tyler Hobbs. I have a pool configured like
this:

$max_retries = 4
$send_timeout = 2000
$recv_timeout = 2000
$pool_size = NULL     //max(5, count($servers) * 2)

$pool = new ConnectionPool($base, $servers, $pool_size, $max_retries,
$send_timeout, $recv_timeout);

So I guess my client is retrying count operations like any other operation,
4 times max with 2 sec time out.

"S1 shows a lot of Commit Log replay going on. Reading your timeline below
this sounds like the auto restart catching you out."

Is there a way to remove this auto-restart while upgrading from the
Datastax repository on Ubuntu ?

Let me know if you need something more to understand what happened.

Alain