From "cbertu81@libero.it" <cbert...@libero.it>
Subject R: Re: Generic questions over Cassandra 1.1/1.2
Date Sun, 25 Nov 2012 22:58:51 GMT

Aaron first of all thanks for your precious help everytime ....

Some resources for CQL 3, it may match your needs. If not you can still use Thrift through
your favourite client...There have been a few articles on the DS blog http://www.datastax.com/dev/blogA
talk at the conference by Eric  http://www.datastax.com/events/cassandrasummit2012/presentationsI
did a webinar about it last month http://www.datastax.com/resources/webinars/collegecredit
I will read all the links carefully. The idea was to keep Pelops (client I am familiar with)
and include CQL3 through the new Java driver Datastax is going to provide.
SELECT * FROM ctable WHERE basekey = ?  and myvalue = ? ORDER BY extensionkey
DESC LIMIT 5
I haven't been able to do it ….
That looks ok, what was the error ? What cassandra version and what CQL version?
Cassandra 1.2 beta2 and CQL 3 -- honestly I didn't remember the exact  error (only that it
was about the order by) and I don't have Cassandra here to try. Will write more about this
tomorrow ... however if I avoided the where on secondary indexed column the query was ok.

2) Is Cassandra still schemaless? One thing I loved is that to create a new column I didn't
have to "alter" any cf before.
Trying CQL 3 I noticed that if I try to make an insert of a new "column" not
defined in schema I raised an exception.
CQL 3 requires a schema, however altering the schema is easier. And in 1.2 will support concurrent
schema modifications. Thrift API is still schema less.
What it means that it will support "concurrent schema modifications?" (if the answer is in
the link above I will know tomorrow :) )I imagined that only CQL required a schema. What happen
in a situation like this?
1) I create a table using CQL2) I add a new column using Thrift3) I query for the column using
CQL
One more question:Is there any noticeable performance difference between thrift or CQL3?
Thanks,Carlo