From Bryan <br...@appssavvy.com>
Subject Re: Why my Cassandra is compacting like mad
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2012 15:36:30 GMT
I think I am seeing the same issue, but it doesn't seem to be related to the schema_columns.
I understand that repair is supposed to be intensive, but this is bringing the associated
 machine to its knees, to the point that logging on the machine takes a very, very long time
and requests are no longer served (load avg ~2000.0). Is this normal? Is this a symptom of
the machine not compacting enough during normal operation (minor compactions)? Thoughts?

Cassandra 1.1.5, 12 node application cluster connected to a smaller analytics cluster
The analytics cluster was repairing, but it seemed to swamp one of the nodes on 12-node cluster.
Java 1.6_u5, CentOS
40 - 80 GB on each node (too much?)
Main CF has 4 indexes
standard configs, no multithreaded compaction, 16 mb compaction throughput

Speaking of the throughput, reading the cassandra.yaml file made me think that the throughput
is not set correctly, but I'm not sure how to calculate the ideal value. Should I only consider
the actual data size inserted, or should I use a single-node load figure / uptime_seconds
as a guess (assuming constant load)?

Thanks,

Bryan

Re: http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg25561.html