From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Question regarding hinted handoffs and restoring backup in cluster
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2012 20:19:03 GMT
If you are restoring the backup to get back to previous point in them, then you will want to
remove all hints from the cluster. You will also want to stop recording them, IIRC the only
way to do that is via a yaml config.

If you are restoring the data to recover from some sort of loss, then keeping the hints in
place is ok.

Hope that helps.

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 6/10/2012, at 12:30 AM, Fredrik <fredrik.l.stigback@sitevision.se> wrote:

> When restoring a backup for the entire cluster my understanding is that you must shutdown
the entire cluster and then restore the backup and then start up all nodes again.
> http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.0/operations/backup_restore
> But how should I handle hinted handoffs (Hints CF). Since they're stored in the system
keyspace and according to the docs I only need to restore the specific keyspace not the system
keyspace.
> Won't these hinted handoffs, which isn't based on the backup, be delivered and applied
as soon as one of the node which they're aimed for comes up and thus be applied to the backuped
data.
> What is the recomended way to handle this situation? Removing the hints cf from the system
tables before restart of the cluster nodes?