From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: What does ReadRepair exactly do?
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2012 07:17:57 GMT
Yes, all this starts because of the call to filter.collateColumns()…

The ColumnFamily is an implementation of o.a.c.dbAbstractColumnContainer , the methods to
add columns on that interface pass through to an implementation of ISortedColumns.

The implementations of ISortedColumns, e.g. ArrayBackedSortedColumns, will call reconcile()
on the IColumn if they need to.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 23/10/2012, at 4:45 AM, Manu Zhang <owenzhang1990@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it through filter.collateColumns(resolved, iters, Integer.MIN_VALUE) and then MergeIterator.get(toCollate,
fcomp, reducer) but I don't know what happens hereafter? How is reconcile exactly been called?

> On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 6:49 AM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> There are two processes in cassandra that trigger Read Repair like behaviour.
>
> During a DigestMismatchException is raised if the responses from the replicas do not
match. In this case another read is run that involves reading all the data. This is the CL
level agreement kicking in.

> The other "Read Repair" is the one controlled by the "read_repair_chance". When RR is
active on a request ALL up replicas are involved in the read. When RR is not active only CL
replicas are involved. When test for CL agreement occurs synchronously to the request; the
RR check waits asynchronously to the request for all nodes in the request to return. It then
checks for consistency and repairs differences.

>> From looking at the source code, I do not understand how this set is built and I
do not understand how the reconciliation is executed.
> When a DigestMismatch is detected a read is run using RepairCallback. The callback will
call the RowRepairResolver.resolve() when enough responses have been collected.

> resolveSuperset() picks one response to the baseline, and then calls delete() to apply
row level deletes from the other responses (ColumnFamily's). It collects the other CF's into
an iterator with a filter that returns all columns. The columns are then applied to the baseline
CF which may result in reconcile() being called.

> reconcile() is used when a AbstractColumnContainer has two versions of a column and it
wants to only have one.

> RowRepairResolve.scheduleRepairs() works out the delta for each node by calling ColumnFamily.diff().
The delta is then sent to the appropriate node.

> Hope that helps.
>

> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Developer
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 19/10/2012, at 6:33 AM, Markus Klems <markusklems@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I am looking through the Cassandra source code in the github trunk to better understand
how Cassandra's fault-tolerance mechanisms work. Most things make sense. I am also aware of
the wiki and DataStax documentation. However, I do not understand what read repair does in
detail. The method RowRepairResolver.resolveSuperset(Iterable<ColumnFamily> versions)
seems to do the trick of merging conflicting versions of column family replicas and builds
the set of columns that need to be "repaired". From looking at the source code, I do not understand
how this set is built and I do not understand how the reconciliation is executed. ReadRepair
does not seem to trigger a Column.reconcile() to reconcile conflicting column versions on
different servers. Does it?

>> If this is not what read repair does, then: What kind of inconsistencies are resolved
by read repair? And: How are the inconsistencies resolved?