From "Hiller, Dean" <Dean.Hil...@nrel.gov>
Subject Re: High bandwidth usage between datacenters for cluster
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2012 18:16:03 GMT
Use the datacenter replication strategy and try it with that so you tell cassandra all your
data centers, racks, etc.

Dean

From: Bryce Godfrey <Bryce.Godfrey@azaleos.com<mailto:Bryce.Godfrey@azaleos.com>>
Date: Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:44 AM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>" <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: High bandwidth usage between datacenters for cluster

We have a 5 node cluster, with a matching 5 nodes for DR in another data center.   With a
replication factor of 3, does the node I send a write too attempt to send it to the 3 servers
in the DR also?  Or does it send it to 1 and let it replicate locally in the DR environment
to save bandwidth across the WAN?
Normally this isn’t an issue for us, but at times we are writing approximately 1MB a sec
of data, and seeing a corresponding 3MB of traffic across the WAN to all the Cassandra DR
servers.

If my assumptions are right, is this configurable somehow for writing to one node and letting
it do local replication?  We are on 1.1.5

Thanks