From "Hiller, Dean" <Dean.Hil...@nrel.gov>
Subject Re: 1000's of column families
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2012 12:37:27 GMT
Ben,
  to address your question, read my last post but to summarize, yes, there
is less overhead in memory to prefix keys than manage multiple Cfs EXCEPT
when doing map/reduce.  Doing map/reduce, you will now have HUGE overhead
in reading a whole slew of rows you don't care about as you can't
map/reduce a single virtual CF but must map/reduce the whole CF wasting
TONS of resources.

Thanks,
Dean