Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton

On 12/09/2012, at 11:25 AM, Data Craftsman ľ <database.craftsman@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the suggestion, as always.  :)   I'll read your slides soon.

What is "MM" stands for? million ?

Thanks,
Charlie

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 6:37 PM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
In general wider rows take a bit longer to read, however different access
patterns have different performance. I did some tests here
http://www.slideshare.net/aaronmorton/cassandra-sf-2012-technical-deep-dive-query-performance
and http://thelastpickle.com/2011/07/04/Cassandra-Query-Plans/

I would suggest 1MM cols is fine, if you get to 10MM cols per row you
probably have gone too far. Remember the byte size of the row is also
important; larger rows churn memory more and take longer to compact /
repair.

Hope that helps.

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer