From Roshni Rajagopal <roshni_rajago...@hotmail.com>
Subject Solr Use Cases
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:27:43 GMT

Hi,
Im new to Solr, and I hear that Solr is a great tool for improving search performanceIm unsure
whether Solr or DSE Search is a must for all cassandra deployments
1. For performance - I thought cassandra had great read & write performance. When should
solr be used ?Taking the following use cases for cassandra from the datastax FAQ page, in
which cases would Solr be useful, and whether for all?Time series data managementHigh-velocity
device data ingestion and analysisMedia streaming (e.g., music, movies)Social media input
and analysisOnline web retail (e.g., shopping carts, user transactions)Web log management
/ analysisWeb click-stream analysisReal-time data analyticsOnline gaming (e.g., real-time
messaging)Write-intensive transaction systemsBuyer event analyticsRisk analysis and management
2. what changes to cassandra data modeling does Solr bring? We have some guidelines &
best practices around cassandra data modeling.Is Solr so powerful, that it does not matter
how data is modelled in cassandra? Are there different best practices for cassandra data modeling
when Solr is in the picture?Is this something we should keep in mind while modeling for cassandra
today- that it should be  good to be used via Solr in future?
3. Does Solr come with any drawbacks like its not real time ?
I can & should read the manual, but it will be great if someone can explain at a high
level.
Thank you!

Regards,Roshni