From Roshni Rajagopal <roshni_rajago...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: 1.1.5 Missing Insert! Strange Problem
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2012 06:47:45 GMT

By any chance is a TTL (time to live ) set on the columns...

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 19:56:19 -0700
Subject: 1.1.5 Missing Insert! Strange Problem
From: goudarzi@gmail.com
To: user@cassandra.apache.org

Hi All,
I have a 4 node cluster setup in 2 zones with NetworkTopology strategy and strategy options
for writing a copy to each zone, so the effective load on each machine is 50%.

Symptom:I have a column family that has gc grace seconds of 10 days (the default). On 17th
there was an insert done to this column family and from our application logs I can see that
the client got a successful response back with write consistency of ONE. I can verify the
existence of the key that was inserted in Commitlogs of both replicas however it seams that
this record was never inserted. I used list to get all the column family rows which were about
800ish, and examine them to see if it could possibly be deleted by our application. List should
have shown them to me since I have not gone beyond gc grace seconds if this record was deleted
during past days. I could not find it.

Things happened:During the same time as this insert was happening, I was performing a rolling
upgrade of Cassandra from 1.1.3 to 1.1.5 by taking one node down at a time, performing the
package upgrade and restarting the service and going to the next node. I could see from system.log
that some mutations were replayed during those restarts, so I suppose the memtables were not
flushed before restart.

Could this procedure cause the row inser to disappear? How could I troubleshoot as I am running
out of ideas.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,=Arya