From Michael Kjellman <mkjell...@barracuda.com>
Subject Re: Is Cassandra right for me?
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2012 17:34:29 GMT
Brisk is no longer actively developed by the original author or Datastax. It was left up for
the community.

https://github.com/steeve/brisk

Has a fork that is supposedly compatible with 1.0 API

Your more than welcome to fork that and make it work with 1.1 :)

DSE != (Cassandra + Brisk)

From: Marcelo Elias Del Valle <mvallebr@gmail.com<mailto:mvallebr@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, September 21, 2012 10:27 AM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>" <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Is Cassandra right for me?

2012/9/20 aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com<mailto:aaron@thelastpickle.com>>
Actually, if I use community edition for now, I wouldn't be able to use hadoop against data
stored in CFS?
AFAIK DSC is a packaged deployment of Apache Cassandra. You should be ale to use Hadoop against
it, in the same way you can use hadoop against Apache Cassandra.

You "can do" anything with computers if you have enough time and patience. DSE reduces the
amount of time and patience needed to run Hadoop over Cassandra. Specifically it helps by
providing a HDFS and Hive Meta Store that run on Cassandra. This reduces the number of moving
parts you need to provision.

Can I use BRISK with Apache Cassandra, without changing Brisk or Cassandra's code? To the
best of my knowledge, DSE uses Brisk, so I am afraid of writting hadoop process now and have
to change them when I hire DSE support.

I am not an expert in the Apache 2.0 license, but in my understanding Data Stax modified Apache
Cassandra and included modifications to it in the version they sell. At the same time I am
interested in hiring their support, I wanna keep compatibility with the open source version
distributed in the mainstream, just in case I want to stop hiring their support at any time.

--
Marcelo Elias Del Valle
http://mvalle.com - @mvallebr

'Like' us on Facebook for exclusive content and other resources on all Barracuda Networks
solutions.
Visit http://barracudanetworks.com/facebook