From "Hiller, Dean" <Dean.Hil...@nrel.gov>
Subject Re: Is Cassandra right for me?
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:31:05 GMT
Cassandra is fully aware of all tables created with playOrm and you can still use DataStax
enterprise features to get real time analytics.  Playroom is a layer on top of cassandra and
with any layer it makes a developer more productive at a slight cost of performance just like
hibernate on top of JDBC.  In some cases though, we find because someone uses the S-SQL instead
of reading in full rows themselves, it has actually sped up their application in certain use
cases…this is kind of unusual when putting a layer on top of the interface to cassandra.

Also, playOrm is working on a ad-hoc query tool to view all indexes created by playOrm as
well as query into all rows in partitions so you can ad-hoc inspect your data much easier.
 CQL can also be used as a complement to S-SQL(playOrm's SQL with partitions) in that you
could analyze a full table but CQL doesn't do joins and you have to use equality operator
and other limitations.  S-SQL is limited by only viewing into partitions which is okay for
many OLTP applications.  For analytics, usually one needs to break out of the partitions and
look at the more global data set…ie. Map/reduce and CQL help there.

Later,
Dean

From: Marcelo Elias Del Valle <mvallebr@gmail.com<mailto:mvallebr@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 10:50 AM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>" <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Is Cassandra right for me?

I also saw that if I plan to use Data Stax enterprise to get real time analytics, my data
would need to be stored in Cassandra's usual format. It would harder for me use PlayOrm if
I am planning to use advanced data stax features, like Solr indexing data on Cassandra without
copying columns, realtime, wouldn't it? I don't know much of this Solr feature yet, but my
understanding today is it wouldn't be aware of the tables I create with playOrm, just of the
column families this framework uses to store the data, right?