From Michael Kjellman <mkjell...@barracuda.com>
Subject Re: persistent compaction issue (1.1.4 and 1.1.5)
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 18:38:39 GMT
Thanks, I just modified the schema on the worse offending column family (as determined by the
.json) from 10MB to 200MB.

Should I kick off a compaction on this cf now/repair?/scrub?

Thanks

-michael

From: Віталій Тимчишин <tivv00@gmail.com<mailto:tivv00@gmail.com>>
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>" <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: persistent compaction issue (1.1.4 and 1.1.5)

I've started to use LeveledCompaction some time ago and from my experience this indicates
some SST on lower levels than they should be. The compaction is going, moving them up level
by level, but total count does not change as new data goes in.
The numbers are pretty high as for me. Such numbers mean a lot of files (over 100K in single
directory) and a lot of thinking for compaction executor to decide what to compact next. I
can see numbers like 5K-10K and still thing this is high number. If I were you, I'd increase
sstable_size_in_mb 10-20 times it is now.