From Andrey Ilinykh <ailin...@gmail.com>
Subject Why data tripled in size after repair?
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2012 16:30:04 GMT
Hello everybody!
I have 3 node cluster with replication factor of 3.
each node has 800G disk and it used to have 100G of data.
What is strange every time I run repair data takes almost 3 times more
- 270G, then I run compaction and get 100G back.
Unfortunately, yesterday I forget to compact and run repair again (at
that moment I had around 270G). As result I have 720G on each node.
I run compaction again and get a lot of warnings like this

WARN [CompactionExecutor:732] 2012-09-26 16:13:00,745
CompactionTask.java (line 84) insufficient space to compact all
requested files

which makes sense, because I'm almost out of disk space.

So, I have two questions.

1. Why repair almost triples data size?

2. How to compact my data back to 100G?

Thank you,