From Charles Brophy <cbro...@zulily.com>
Subject Running repair negatively impacts read performance?
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 15:05:05 GMT
Hey guys,

I've begun to notice that read operations take a performance nose-dive
after a standard (full) repair of a fairly large column family: ~11 million
records. Interestingly, I've then noticed that read performance returns to
normal after a full scrub of the column family. Is it possible that the
repair operation is not correctly establishing the bloom filter afterwards?
I've noticed an interesting note of the scrub operation is that it will
"rebuild sstables with correct bloom filters" which is what is leading me
to this conclusion. Does this make sense?

I'm using 1.1.3 and Oracle JDK 1.6.31
The column family is a stanard type and I've noticed this exact behavior
regardless of the key/column/value serializers in use.

Charles