From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JVM 7, Cass 1.1.1 and G1 garbage collector
Date Sat, 15 Sep 2012 16:18:01 GMT
Generally tuning the garbage collector is a waste of time. Just follow
someone else's recommendation and use that.

The problem with tuning is that workloads change then you have to tune
again and again. New garbage collectors come out and you have to tune again
and again. Someone at your company reads a blog about some new jvm and its
awesomeness and you tune again and again, cassandra adds off heap caching
you tune again and again.

All this work takes a lot of time and usually results in  negligible
returns. Garbage collectors and tuning is not magic bullets.