From Rob Coli <rc...@palominodb.com>
Subject Re: 1.1.5 Missing Insert! Strange Problem
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2012 22:53:26 GMT
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Arya Goudarzi <goudarzi@gmail.com> wrote:
> rcoli helped me investigate this issue. The mystery was that the segment of
> commit log was probably not fsynced to disk since the setting was set to
> periodic with 10 second delay and CRC32 checksum validation failed skipping
> the reply, so what happened in my scenario can be explained by this. I am
> going to change our settings to batch mode.

To be clear, I conjectured that this behavior is the cause of the
issue. As there is no logging when Cassandra encounters a corrupt log
segment [1] during replay, I was unable to verify this conjecture.

Calling "nodetool drain" as part of a restart process should [2]
eliminate any chance of unsynced writes being lost, and is likely to
be more performant overall than changing to batch mode.

=Rob
[1] I plan to submit a patch for this..
[2] But doesn't necessarily in 1.0.x, CASSANDRA-4446 ...

--
=Robert Coli
AIM&GTALK - rcoli@palominodb.com