From Marcelo Elias Del Valle <mvall...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 1000's of column families
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2012 18:35:33 GMT
2012/9/27 Aaron Turner <synfinatic@gmail.com>

> How strict are your security requirements?  If it wasn't for that,
> you'd be much better off storing data on a per-statistic basis then
> per-device.  Hell, you could store everything in a single CF by using
> a composite row key:

> But yeah, there isn't a hard limit for the number of CF's, but there
> is overhead associated with each one and so I wouldn't consider your
> design as scalable.  Generally speaking, hundreds are ok, but
> thousands is pushing it.

Aaron,

    Imagine that instead of using a composite key in this case, you use a
simple row key "instance_uuid". Then, to index data by devicename |
start_type|instance you use another CF with this composite key or several
CFs to index it.
    Do you see any drawbacks in terms of performance?

Best regards,
--
Marcelo Elias Del Valle
http://mvalle.com - @mvallebr