From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Is it possible to create a schema before a Cassandra node starts up ?
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 02:17:14 GMT
> I have a script that needs to set up a schema first before starting up the cassandra node.
Is this possible ?
No.
A node must be running to make a DDL change.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 15/09/2012, at 2:05 AM, "Xu, Zaili" <ZXu@pershing.com> wrote:

> Guys
>
> I am pretty new to Cassandra. I have a script that needs to set up a schema first before
starting up the cassandra node. Is this possible ? Can I create the schema directly on cassandra
storage and then when the node starts up it will pick up the schema ?

> Zaili

than 40GB. Even if all the data is stored in one node, this won't happen.

> I'll try to see if the disk failed.
>
> Is this anything to do with VM memory?.. cause this logs suggests that..
> Heap is 0.7515559786053904 full.  You may need to reduce memtable and/or cache sizes.
 Cassandra will now flush up to the two largest memtables to free up memory.  Adjust flush_largest_memtables_at
threshold in cassandra.yaml if you don't want Cassandra to do this automatically

> But, i'm only testing writes, there are no reads on the cluster. Will the writes require
so much memory. A large instance has 7.5GB, so by default cassandra allocates about 3.75 GB
for the VM.

> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Robin Verlangen <robin@us2.nl> wrote:
> Hi Robbit,
>
> I think it's running out of disk space, please verify that (on Linux: df -h ).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Robin Verlangen
> Software engineer
>
> W http://www.robinverlangen.nl
> E robin@us2.nl
>
> Disclaimer: The information contained in this message and attachments is intended solely
for the attention and use of the named addressee and may be confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are reminded that the information remains the property of the sender.
You must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If you have received
this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and irrevocably delete this message
and any copies.

> 2012/9/14 rohit reddy <rohit.kommareddy@gmail.com>
> Hi,
>
> I'm facing a problem in Cassandra cluster deployed on EC2 where the node is going down
under write load.

> I have configured a cluster of 4 Large EC2 nodes with RF of 2.
> All nodes are instance storage backed. DISK is RAID0 with 800GB
>
> I'm pumping in write requests at about 4000 writes/sec. One of the node went down under
this load. The total data size in each node was not more than 7GB
> Got the following WARN messages in the LOG file...
>
> 1. setting live ratio to minimum of 1.0 instead of 0.9003153296009601
> 2. Heap is 0.7515559786053904 full.  You may need to reduce memtable and/or cache sizes.
 Cassandra will now flush up to the two largest memtables to free up memory.  Adjust flush_largest_memtables_at
threshold in cassandra.yaml if you don't want Cassandra to do
> this automatically
> 3. WARN [CompactionExecutor:570] 2012-09-14 11:45:12,024 CompactionTask.java (line 84)
insufficient space to compact all requested files

> All cassandra settings are default settings.
> Do i need to tune anything to support this write rate?
>
> Thanks
> Rohit

> IMPORTANT: Any information contained in this communication is intended for the use of
the named individual or entity. All information contained in this communication is not intended
or construed as an offer, solicitation, or a recommendation to purchase any security. Advice,
suggestions or views presented in this communication are not necessarily those of Pershing
LLC nor do they warrant a complete or accurate statement.

> If you are not an intended party to this communication, please notify the sender and
delete/destroy any and all copies of this communication. Unintended recipients shall not review,
reproduce, disseminate nor disclose any information contained in this communication. Pershing
LLC reserves the right to monitor and retain all incoming and outgoing communications as permitted
by applicable law.

> Email communications may contain viruses or other defects. Pershing LLC does not accept
liability nor does it warrant that email communications are virus or defect free.