From aaron morton <>
Subject Re: Solr Use Cases
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2012 01:22:26 GMT
> Also, Cassandra is great for writes but not as optimized for reads.

From cassandra 1.0 read throughout on a par with writes

You milage may vary depending on the workload.

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer

On 20/09/2012, at 3:08 AM, Michael Kjellman <> wrote:

> If I were you I would look into ElasticSearch unless you are okay updating the search
cache very infrequently.
> I tried Solandra vs ElasticSearch in our use case and there was no contest.
> Also, Cassandra is great for writes but not as optimized for reads. Honestly, it all
depends on your use case and what brand of Lucine depends on it.
> I would benchmark it and see what sticks.
> On Sep 19, 2012, at 5:28 AM, "Roshni Rajagopal" <<>>
> Hi,
> Im new to Solr, and I hear that Solr is a great tool for improving search performance
> Im unsure whether Solr or DSE Search is a must for all cassandra deployments
> 1. For performance - I thought cassandra had great read & write performance. When
should solr be used ?
> Taking the following use cases for cassandra from the datastax FAQ page, in which cases
would Solr be useful, and whether for all?
> *   Time series data management
> *   High-velocity device data ingestion and analysis
> *   Media streaming (e.g., music, movies)
> *   Social media input and analysis
> *   Online web retail (e.g., shopping carts, user transactions)
> *   Web log management / analysis
> *   Web click-stream analysis
> *   Real-time data analytics
> *   Online gaming (e.g., real-time messaging)
> *   Write-intensive transaction systems
> *   Buyer event analytics
> *   Risk analysis and management
> 2. what changes to cassandra data modeling does Solr bring? We have some guidelines &
best practices around cassandra data modeling.
> Is Solr so powerful, that it does not matter how data is modelled in cassandra? Are there
different best practices for cassandra data modeling when Solr is in the picture?
> Is this something we should keep in mind while modeling for cassandra today- that it
should be  good to be used via Solr in future?
> 3. Does Solr come with any drawbacks like its not real time ?
> I can & should read the manual, but it will be great if someone can explain at a
high level.
> Thank you!
> Regards,
> Roshni
> 'Like' us on Facebook for exclusive content and other resources on all Barracuda Networks
> Visit

View raw message