From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Number of columns per row for Composite Primary Key CQL 3.0
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2012 01:37:04 GMT
In general wider rows take a bit longer to read, however different access patterns have different
performance. I did some tests here http://www.slideshare.net/aaronmorton/cassandra-sf-2012-technical-deep-dive-query-performance
and http://thelastpickle.com/2011/07/04/Cassandra-Query-Plans/

I would suggest 1MM cols is fine, if you get to 10MM cols per row you probably have gone too
far. Remember the byte size of the row is also important; larger rows churn memory more and
take longer to compact / repair.

Hope that helps.

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer