From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Secondary index loss on node restart
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 01:06:19 GMT
Can you contribute your experience to this ticket https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-4670
?

Thanks

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 24/09/2012, at 6:22 AM, Michael Theroux <mtheroux2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have been noticing an issue where, about 50% of the time in which a node fails or
is restarted, secondary indexes appear to be partially lost or corrupted.  A drop and re-add
of the index appears to correct the issue.  There are no errors in the cassandra logs that
I see.  Part of the index seems to be simply missing.  Sometimes this corruption/loss doesn't
happen immediately, but sometime after the node is restarted.  In addition, the index never
appears to have an issue when the node comes down, it is only after the node comes back up
and recovers in which we experience an issue.

> We developed some code that goes through all the rows in the table, by key, in which
the index is present.  It then attempts to look up the information via secondary index, in
an attempt to detect when the issue occurs.  Another odd observation is that the number of
members present in the index when we have the issue varies up and down (the index and the
tables don't change that often).

> We are running a 6 node Cassandra cluster with a replication factor of 3, consistency
level for all queries is LOCAL_QUORUM.  We are running Cassandra 1.1.2.