From Bryce Godfrey <Bryce.Godf...@azaleos.com>
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 20:33:21 GMT
Is there anything I can do on the configuration side to prevent nodes from going OOM due to
queries that will read large amounts of data and exceed the heap available?

For the past few days of we had some nodes consistently freezing/crashing with OOM.  We got
a heap dump into MAT and figured out the nodes were dying due to some queries for a few extremely
large data sets.  Tracked it back to an app that just didn't prevent users from doing these
large queries, but it seems like Cassandra could be smart enough to guard against this type
of thing?

Basically some kind of setting like "if the data to satisfy query > available heap then
throw an error to the caller and about query".  I would much rather return errors to clients
then crash a node, as the error is easier to track down that way and resolve.

Thanks.