Hi Tim,
I had a similar problem and I sorted it out in the following manner.
The cluster name is stored in two places. In he cassandra.yaml and the system keyspace. Everytime you start a node it checks the cluster name in both these places. If changes in the configuration files is not working then i would suggest you delete the files in your system keyspace folder except files like Schema*.*.
Please backup the system keyspace before deleting.

Regards
Rajesh Kumar