From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra 1.0 row deletion
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2012 08:47:30 GMT
> If you use the remove function to delete an entire row, is that an atomic operation?

Yes. Row level deletes are atomic.

cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 17/08/2012, at 3:39 PM, Derek Williams <derek@fyrie.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 9:08 PM, Terry Cumaranatunge <cumarana@gmail.com> wrote:

> We have a Cassandra 1.0 cluster that we run with RF=3 and perform operations using a
consistency level of quorum. We use batch_mutate for all inserts and updates for atomicity
across column families with the same row key, but use the thrift interface remove API call
in C++ to delete a row so that we can delete an entire row without having to specify individual
column names. If you use the remove function to delete an entire row, is that an atomic operation?
In other words, can it delete a partial number of columns in the row and leave other columns
around?

> It all depends on the timestamp for the column. A row level delete will place a row tombstone
at the timestamp given, causing all columns with an earlier timestamp to be deleted. If a
column has a later timestamp then the row tombstone, then it wont be deleted.