From Jim Cistaro <jcist...@netflix.com>
Subject Re: JMX(RMI) dynamic port allocation problem still exists?
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 06:41:36 GMT
You may already be aware, but another possible solution is to use MX4J to do your JMX over
REST (I have not tried this myself yet).

http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations#Monitoring_with_MX4J

From: Yang <teddyyyy123@gmail.com<mailto:teddyyyy123@gmail.com>>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 07:55:00 -0700
To: <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: JMX(RMI) dynamic port allocation problem still exists?

Thanks Nick.

it would be nice to pack such work-arounds together with Cassandra, and enable it with a command
line arg in the start up script,  so that the end-user has a more
smooth usage experience ----- we did spend some time before to debug the ports issues, and
find a trick for that.
I imagine a lot of users will have to go through the same process since "closing all ports"
is the default EC2 network security policy for most companies. Or at least add a link for
the fix in the installation wikis such as http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.1/install/install_ami<https://webmail.iac.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=PLVE6taKpU--Dxw69WVEOtdUcArCWM8IUH6LBjdXcM7STlqwkARq8mA8Nva_mtGaSKmmva4pWxE.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.datastax.com%2fdocs%2f1.1%2finstall%2finstall_ami>

Yang

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Nick Bailey <nick@datastax.com<mailto:nick@datastax.com>>