From Roshni Rajagopal <Roshni.Rajago...@wal-mart.com>
Subject Decision Making- YCSB
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 00:58:34 GMT
Hi Folks,

I'm coming up with a set of decision criteria on when to chose traditional RDBMS vs various
 NoSQL options.
So one aspect is the  application requirements around Consistency, Availability, Partition
Tolerance, Scalability, Data Modeling etc. These can be decided at a theoretical level.

Once we are sure we need NoSQL, to effectively benchmark the performance around use-cases
or application workloads, we need a standard method.
Some tools are specific to a database like cassandra's stress tool.The only tool I could find
which seems to compare across NoSQL databases, and can be extended and is freely available
is YCSB.

Is YCSB updated for latest versions of cassandra and hbase? Does it work for Datastax enterprise?
Is it regularly updated for new versions of NoSQL databases, or is this something we would
need to take up as a development effort?

Are there any shortcomings to using YCSB- and would it be preferable to develop own tool for
performance benchmarking of NoSQL systems. Do share your thoughts.

Regards,
Roshni

individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error
destroy it immediately. *** Walmart Confidential ***