From Aaron Turner <>
Subject Re: What is the ideal server-side technology stack to use with Cassandra?
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2012 17:54:16 GMT
My stack:

Java + JRuby + Rails + Torquebox

I'm using the Hector client (arguably the most mature out there) and
JRuby+RoR+Torquebox gives me a great development platform which really
scales (full native thread support for example) and is extremely
powerful.  Honestly I expect, all my future RoR apps will be built on
JRuby/Torquebox because I've been so happy with it even if I don't
have a specific need to utilize Java libraries from inside the app.

And the best part is that I've yet to have to write a single line of Java! :)

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 6:53 AM, Edward Capriolo <> wrote:
> The best stack is the THC stack. :)
> Tomcat Hadoop Cassandra :)
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 6:09 AM, Andy Ballingall TF
> <> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've been running a number of tests with Cassandra using a couple of
>> PHP drivers (namely PHPCassa ( and
>> PDO-cassandra (,
>> and the experience hasn't been great, mainly because I can't try out
>> the CQL3.
>> Aaron Morton ( advised:
>> "If possible i would avoid using PHP. The PHP story with cassandra has
>> not been great in the past. There is little love for it, so it takes a
>> while for work changes to get in the client drivers.
>> AFAIK it lacks server side states which makes connection pooling
>> impossible. You should not pool cassandra connections in something
>> like HAProxy."
>> So my question is - if you were to build a new scalable project from
>> scratch tomorrow sitting on top of Cassandra, which technologies would
>> you select to serve HTTP requests to ensure you get:
>> a) The best support from the cassandra community (e.g. timely updates
>> of drivers, better stability)
>> b) Optimal efficiency between webservers and cassandra cluster, in
>> terms of the performance of individual requests and in the volumes of
>> connections handled per second
>> c) Ease of development and and deployment.
>> What worked for you, and why? What didn't work for you?

Aaron Turner         Twitter: @synfinatic - Pcap editing and replay tools for Unix & Windows
    -- Benjamin Franklin