From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Decision Making- YCSB
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 14:25:42 GMT
There are many YCSB forks on github that get optimized for specific
databases but the default one is decent across the defaults. Cassandra
has it's own internal stress tool that we like better.

The short comings are that generic tools and generic workloads are
generic and thus not real-world. But other then that being able to
tweak the workload percentages and change the read patterns from
latest/random/etc does a decent job of stressing normal and worst-case
scenarios on the read path. Still I would try to build my own real
world use case as a tool to evaluate a solution before making a
choice.

Edward

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Roshni Rajagopal
<Roshni.Rajagopal@wal-mart.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm coming up with a set of decision criteria on when to chose traditional RDBMS vs various
 NoSQL options.
> So one aspect is the  application requirements around Consistency, Availability, Partition
Tolerance, Scalability, Data Modeling etc. These can be decided at a theoretical level.

> Once we are sure we need NoSQL, to effectively benchmark the performance around use-cases
or application workloads, we need a standard method.
> Some tools are specific to a database like cassandra's stress tool.The only tool I could
find which seems to compare across NoSQL databases, and can be extended and is freely available
is YCSB.

> Is YCSB updated for latest versions of cassandra and hbase? Does it work for Datastax
enterprise? Is it regularly updated for new versions of NoSQL databases, or is this something
we would need to take up as a development effort?

> Are there any shortcomings to using YCSB- and would it be preferable to develop own tool
for performance benchmarking of NoSQL systems. Do share your thoughts.

> Regards,
> Roshni
>
> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for
the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error
destroy it immediately. *** Walmart Confidential ***