From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Why so slow?
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2012 09:37:22 GMT
I did a talk on server side latency at Cassandra Summit 12 the other week
http://www.datastax.com/events/cassandrasummit2012/presentations

If you want to do some baseline tests think about: multiple clients, batch calls with maybe
10's of rows, connection pooling.

There is a stress tool  in source distribution that maybe of help.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 21/08/2012, at 4:16 AM, "Hiller, Dean" <Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov> wrote:

> Be careful on bulk as cassandra takes a bit longer to process.  It was faster not doing
too many rows at a time multithreaded in our performance testing and if I remember Aaron Morton
might have told me that as well.

> Definitely use the cassandra bulk testing tool as well.  I used that and compared it
to my tool until I got my tool in par with their tool and you can post the numbers for the
cassandra bulk testing tool and I know there was someone on this list who told me the expected
writes/ms(it was probably Aaron as well).

> Later,
> Dean
>
> From: Carlos Carrasco <carlos.carrasco@groupalia.com<mailto:carlos.carrasco@groupalia.com>>
> Date: Monday, August 20, 2012 10:03 AM
> To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>" <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
> Subject: Re: Why so slow?
>
> Are you inserting in bulk? Try to increase the amount of mutations you send in a single
batch, otherwise you are just measuring the TCP roundtrip time.

> On 20 August 2012 17:36, Peter Morris <mrpmorris@gmail.com<mailto:mrpmorris@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> My misunderstanding, thanks for correcting me!
>

> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Hiller, Dean <Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov<mailto:Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov>>
wrote:
> There is latency and throughput.  These are two totally different things even for MySQL.
 If you are single threaded, each request (even with MySql) has to be delayed by 1ms or whatever
your ping time is.  To fully utilize a 1Gps bandwidth, you NEED to be multithreaded or you
are wasting bandwidth…and even then, you probably waste bandwidth as one CPU can't always
keep up with keeping the pipe filled.