From Bryce Godfrey <Bryce.Godf...@azaleos.com>
Subject Expanding cluster to include a new DR datacenter
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:43:44 GMT
We are in the process of building out a new DR system in another Data Center, and we want to
mirror our Cassandra environment to that DR.  I have a couple questions on the best way to
do this after reading the documentation on the Datastax website.  We didn't initially plan
for this to be a DR setup when first deployed a while ago due to budgeting, but now we need
to.  So I'm just trying to nail down the order of doing this as well as any potential issues.

For the nodes, we don't plan on querying the servers in this DR until we fail over to this
data center.   We are going to have 5 similar nodes in the DR, should I join them into the
ring at token+1?

All keyspaces are set to the replication strategy of SimpleStrategy.  Can I change the replication
strategy after joining the new nodes in the DR to NetworkTopologyStategy with the updated
replication factor for each dr?

Lastly, is changing snitch from default of SimpleSnitch to RackInferringSnitch going to cause
any issues?  Since its in the Cassandra.yaml file I assume a rolling restart to pick up the
value would be ok?

This is all on Cassandra 1.1.4, Thanks for any help!