Couple more details. I confirmed that swap space is not being used (free -m shows 0 swap) and cassandra.log has a message like "JNA mlockall successful". top shows the process having 9g in resident memory but 21.6g in virtual...What accounts for the much larger virtual number? some kind of off-heap memory?

I'm a little puzzled as to why I would get such long pauses without swapping. I uncommented all the gc logging options in cassandra-env.sh to try to see what is going on when the node freezes.

Thanks
Kireet