From Roshni Rajagopal <Roshni.Rajago...@wal-mart.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra and Tableau
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2012 05:02:59 GMT
Hi Robin,

Im from an analytics background, was working in the traditional BI tools like OBIEE and Business
Objects, so I am very interested in your evaluations of a good analytics toolset combination.
Do share your learnings,

At a high level as I understand, cassandra can be used as the backend for a transactional
systems ( with the tunable consistency adjusted according to requirements ), because it is
real time.
However Hadoop is not for a real time scenario. Its primarily for anlaytics- non real time
processing on huge datasets. The actual information will be stored in HDFS file system. You
can even use Hadoop as a replacement for 'ETL' processing.
With a Hadoop cluster you can directly use a statistical programming language like 'R' to
extract information.
For traditional BI folks like me that’s a new piece to learn- no user friendly GUI!

For a better GUI, we have a new breed of tools like Pentaho, Jaspersoft, Karmasphere, Datasphere.
Im not exactly sure how all of these work,
I know pentaho works with a Hadoop + Hive combination. Here's a nice ppt which explains, from
their 'Chief Geek'- I found the whole series of presentations good.

Pentaho – hadoop knowledge series

http://www.pentaho.com/resources/videos/29/Hadoop-and-Business-Intelligence/

Regards,
Roshni