From Alexey Shananin <alexey.shana...@sirca.org.au>
Subject Massive memory consumption in Hector 1.0-5 / Cassandra Thrift 1.0.9
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 07:06:04 GMT
Hi All,

We are currently testing our app for performance and found a strange
effect.

We load large amount of data using Hector 1.0-5 + Cassandra Thrift 1.0.9.

Total amount of distinct keys is 3M. Each key(K) has one composite
column(C) and binary array as value(V).

We write it using mutator.addInsertion(...) / execute().

After some execution time you can see that HConnectionManager holds 800M of
byte[] data which is not eligible for GC.

Setting -Xmx1500m on client JVM helps to solve the problem but we would
like to run our app with much smaller memory footprint.

Can anyone please give any advice to fight the memory issue?

Thanks,
Alex