From Ertio Lew <>
Subject Schema advice: (Single row or multiple row!?) How do I store millions of columns when I need to read a set of around 500 columns at a single read query using column names ?
Date Sun, 22 Jul 2012 18:55:40 GMT
I want to store hundred of millions of columns(containing id1 to id2
mappings) in the DB & at any single time, retrieve a set of about 200-500
columns based on the column names(id1) if they are in single row or using
rowkeys if each column is stored in a unique row.

If I put them in a single row:-

-> disadvantage is that the no of columns is quite big, that would lead to
uneven load distribution,etc.
-> plus factor is that I can easily read all columns I want to fetch using
col names doing a single row read

But if I store them each in a single row:-

-> I will have to read hundreds of rows(300-500 or in rare cases up
to 1000) at a single time, this may lead to bad read performance(!?).
-> A bit less space efficient

What schema should I go with ?

View raw message